Penn Park

Homecoming for the Pennsylvanian farm boy killed in Korea


Elwood “Woody” Rice discusses his sibling Staff Sgt. Calvin C. Rice Jr. The Vietnam War legend will be regarded with a flagpole devoted in Penn Park.

Throughout the years, Wolff hadn’t pondered his uncle. He had never met him; he was brought into the world three years after his uncle was announced missing. When one of Markel’s nearest remaining relatives, he would get refreshes from the administration about the journey to recuperate and recognize his uncle’s remaining parts, he didn’t have a favorable opinion of it.

“What’s the point?” he would think. It was somewhat unique, not genuine.

In any case, when he got that consider educating him that his uncle’s remaining parts would get back home; it turned out to be genuine.

“When they called me, I got genuine passionate,” Wolff, who lives in Hanover, said Friday, the day after the Defense Department declared that Markel’s remaining parts had been recognized. “Reality set in. It simply hit me.”

Duke Henry Markel was a ranch kid. His folks, Samuel and Edna (Shearer) Markel had a homestead outside of Spring Grove, Pennsylvania. He grew up taking a shot at the ranch, a tying youth, solid, reviewed Joyce Gearhart, his cousin Johnny Gearhart’s widow. (Johnny Gearhart, a veteran of the Marine Corps Reserve, kicked the bucket in September 2016.)

Johnny, whose mother was Markel’s most seasoned sister, Florence, lived on the ranch for a couple of years while his dad was serving in the Army in Texas, Joyce Gearhart reviewed. He strolled to class – a one-room school building in Jefferson – with his more seasoned cousin.

Markel enrolled in the Army on May 13, 1949, five months before his eighteenth birthday celebration. He so needed to serve his nation, his nephew stated that he lied about his age to get into the administration. “I think it was entirely basic in those days,” Wolff said.

After fundamental preparing at Fort Dix in New Jersey and further preparing at Fort Davens in Massachusetts, he transported out for Korea with Company M of the third Battalion of the first Cavalry Division’s Eighth Regiment on Aug. 10, 1950. On Aug. 25, his unit went without hesitation.