President Trump said Friday morning that the United States military had been “cocked and loaded” for a strike against Iran on Thursday night, but that he called it off with 10 minutes to spare when a general told him that 150 people would probably die in the attack.
The president said in a series of tweets just after 9 a.m. that he was prepared to retaliate against three sites in Iran for that country’s shooting down an American drone, but that he was “in no hurry.” He indicated that the death of 150 Iranians would not be “proportionate to shooting down an unmanned drone.”
It was unclear why Mr. Trump would have been getting information about possible casualties so late in the process of launching military action. Such information is typically discussed early in the deliberations between a president and national security officials.
Mr. Trump called Iran a “much weakened nation” because he decided to withdraw from the nuclear agreement negotiated by his predecessor and because of the sanctions that his administration had imposed. He also suggested that new sanctions had been imposed on Iran on Thursday night, but he did not elaborate.
“Authorizations are gnawing and more included the previous evening,” he tweeted. “Iran can NEVER have Nuclear Weapons, not against the USA, and not against the WORLD!”
The president’s choice to prematurely end the strikes for expanded weight on Iran through assents is in accordance with the exhortation he has gotten from a portion of his top counselors about the adequacy of interfering with Iran’s entrance to the globe’s budgetary systems.
During thoughts about the strikes in the Situation Room on Thursday, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo contended that approvals were having an incredible impact by slicing Iran’s incomes oil deals, as indicated by a senior organization official acquainted with the talk.